Start a new topic

MPE-Utility script for Ableton Live

I wrote a MIDI Remote Script which automates the tedious set up process of the midi tracks for Ableton Live. Here's a short demo video:
https://youtu.be/Hg0kUVCfxo0

You'll get the Script (and instructions) from GitHub, try it out if you like!
https://github.com/juhot/MPE_Util

Some users have verified that the script works (vi-control and Ableton forums), and I use it myself. However, if you encounter any bugs, please inform me so I can fix those :) And all feedback and  suggestions are welcome. There are some ideas listed in the Readme already though.

Cheers,
-juho

3 people have this question

Thanks so much for this.  This is going to save me a lot of mousing around until ableton adds mpe support.

Currently the zip file unzips to MPE_Util-master.  I wasn't sure there were any coding for the original name, so I renamed the folder MPE_Util, just in case.

It took me a while to sort everything out.  The first mistake I made was assuming that I should set my Seaboard Block as input and output in the upper section of the MIDI Preferences popup.  Your video clarified this eventually, but it flew by pretty quick the first time I watched it.

Of course I had to try grouping the Ghost Midi input track with the 16 midi tracks.  I see now why I should not do that.

This works well with my Seaboard Block.  There is a Songmaker Kit mode that allows the Lightpad block to emulate the 3 sliders and the XY pad of a Seaboard Rise.  This worked correctly with your script.

Thanks again! Very nice indeed!

2 people like this

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words!

I added a zip "MPE_Util" to the release, no need to rename the script folder anymore :)

I updated the script a bit too, now the number of MPE channel tracks to be created can be defined with a number added after the postfix, e.g. "-creatempe8".

-juho

3 people like this

Juho Hella -- THANK YOU!!!! 

This is such an awesome time saver and seems to be working great so far, without a glitch (on Live 10, MacOS). 

Ableton's slow support of MPE has been frustrating and it keeps me from using my ROLI Seaboard more often. Sorry, just had to vent a little. 

1 person likes this

Wow, thank you so much :) I'm really looking forward to the email from Ableton telling me that the new version of Live supports MPE :D

P.S. On Windows 10, never change the usb port of your Seaboard when you have made your instrument racks. Because you might have to change the MIDI input of the racks afterwards.

Nice - Audio Damage Quanta is 10 voices so this update will help with plugins like that!

Oh man, it even does auto arm the midi tracks, that is so great. Thank you so much again. Get a Ko-fi account so I can get you a coffe :) https://ko-fi.com/

The only issue that I have is some problems when -EnableArmOnSelection is in the Options.txt. When the track with the MPE synth is armed, and I select another track, it does not arm anymore, I have to click the super tiny arm button on the bottom of the track. But it's a minor flaw for me :)

The issue that I mentioned with -EnableArmOnSelection always happens when multiple tracks are armed so it has nothing to do with your script :)

1 person likes this

you're the GOAT just got some blocks and this is sooo helpful!

AWESOME bit of stuff! after deciphering the soundless video it worked great, but then i went into a twilight zone and it stopped working. i'm setting up my default set so that i can use more than one MPE plugin (strobe2, cypher2, omnisphere, falcon) and at first i just tried duplicating the 3 tracks - instrument track, the group, and the ghostmidi track -  to put in a different plugin but the tracks wouldn't arm together so i tried again and things got weird. mostly nothing happened after typing creatempe, then sometimes it would populate the 16 channels but they would all be different colors and not be related to the instrument track - and no ghostmidi track either. it finally worked when i placed the new midi track BEFORE the other ones. evidently there is only one ghostmidi track that serves them all and it needs to be at the end? 

anyway, this is a HUGE relief! i'm so glad i don't have to create 5D parts on Bitwig or Logic to import to Ableton. thanks!

LIVE 10, OSX sierra

Hi Juno, Sanjay C here from youtube.com/SanjayC. I tried your script. It created the midi tracks as expected, but all tracks show MIDI From "Computer Keyboard" instead of my Rise. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Hey Sanjay, If you change the "MIDI from" on the first MIDI track with the dropdown menu, all of the other MIDI tracks should automatically follow that change.

Check the name of your Seaboard when you select the MIDI input. If it does not start with "Seaboard..." then you might have to change the config file and add the correct name. But like Ruben said, as soon as you change the first track to the seaboard it will change all the other tracks too.

Hello Juho,

Thank you so much for this! It's really helpful and I would really like to add this to my default project so that when I start Ableton is already setup. This is working as soon as I open it but it has problems when I try to change plugin. All the channels change to "MIDI To: No output". What's more curious is that it seems to work fine on some backups projects and some random projects. Any idea? Cheers!

Hi Juho,

Thanks so much for your work! I would really like to save it as my default preset for my Seaboard block and a Lightpad. However, it works once opened but it seems to have some problems with changing presets. It does not change all the channels smoothly but they all go to MIDI To: None. What even more curios is that some of the backups project work but only for one of the two instruments. Any suggestion would be much appreciated! Cheers

Login to post a comment