Start a new topic

Change the installation path

Have I missed something?  Is it not possible to choose the installation path?

Or even better, move it from my C drive to my D drive?

I have an SSD for fast booting on drive C and I didn't get a chance to pick where it installed.

This has caused additional issues for me because I keep all of my VST's on my D drive - Ableton won't allow me to assign 2 places for vst's, So I can't use it so far.

If I'm mistaken, then if anyone can help, it would be great - I'm new to the software, just 2 days of use.

Thanks for your time.

40 people like this idea

Equator doesn't support custom library locations at the moment. It's a good request though, so I'm up-voting it!

17 people like this

I would also like this feature.  My C drive is always tight. 

To Ian Gill -- To solve your Ableton problem, just put a folder shortcut to where the Roli vsts are in your main VST folder that Ableton uses.  

6 people like this

Thanks for the Reply Brandon, but I already have a custom folder assigned - It's to all of my vst's on my D drive :-)

I have tried, but you can't have 2 custom folders assigned.

I have NI ultimate - many gigs worth of vst's - on my D drive. I really need to swap Equators Vst's to the folder on the 'D' drive, but it defaults to C. 

It's the only software I have installed for many years which does not let you choose where it goes - not really 21st century :-)

Have a good weekend!

Ian

1 person likes this

I know what you mean - just tried creating a shortcut and pasting in D drive, but it doesn't pick it up.

Nice try though !  Cheers!

Ian

Brandon you were right!

I have left the equator.dll file where it is on 'c' and made a copy which I placed in my 'd' drive and it seems to work. If I copied the folder, it didn't work for me, but just the dll worked ok :-)

Cheers again - have a great weekend!

Ian

It definitely works. The shortcut should be placed within your designated Ableton custom folder. You can place as many as you want... I have like a dozen of them...
Glad to see you got it working! Weird restriction by Ableton. Every other DAW lets you set as many custom paths as you want... Have fun!

Definitely thought I missed something during the install and cancelled it to come here and see what my options are, sighs... and it's unfortunate. I have a 128GB SSD as a primary in my laptop (by choice) and a 1TB secondary as I like to keep my OS drive clean.

My iMac gave me the option to choose which drive, I suppose us Windows users are just an unfortunate bunch. I hope Roli implements an install choice soon for Windows! One that at the very least allows for choice on where packages and vst's go.

1 person likes this

I would also like to see the ability to change the default file location for the factory and user presets.

I have a instance of Equator running on my Macbook Pro "C" drive and all of the presets and other support files are there as well. I use the "C" drive OS for general sound creation. All my other apps are on "C" as well. I also have a dedicated "D" drive for live use which contains a stripped down OS and no other Apps except MainStage, Logic, Kontakt, and the other software I need for live use. With this configuration I simply boot up from the "D" drive for live use, and have a bare bones OS and a processor with lots of idle time to run MainStage. I created alias of the Equator app on the "C" drive and successfully opened it up on the "D" OS. However, it contains no presets, and I can't tell Equatorto look for them on the "C" drive. I resorted to loading duplicate files of the required presets on "D", but really I'd like to be able point the "D" drive Equator app to look for the presets that are already loaded on the "C" drive. I only want one physical preset file on my computer.

3 people like this

Yeah, please allow to install all of the Roli software in a place of the users choosing without manually dragging stuff around. 99% of all plugin- and software installers allow this and it really is a form of respect for the user to give him a chance to choose his own paths.

I use a custom VST folder (on C: ) and have all large files like samples on a separate, larger harddrive, also, I have all my music software in a dedicated folder...

Thanks and cheers,

Tom

4 people like this

i, too, was baffled that not only could i not choose where to put the samples (at the very least) but also that this was not addressed in any of the documentation/manuals - i had to dig to find this thread. 

also the "up voting" to get this feature included in an update is ridiculous. how in the world was this elementary feature not included in the first place? 

5 people like this

Any updates?

1 person likes this

Yeah this really needs to be addressed.  A professional product should not force the user to read the sound files off of the same drive that is running their OS.  This is going to have a significant impact on performance and I would expect to have the option to install where I see fit on my system.

Going to try using a symlink.  I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I gotta say that I'm a bit disappointed and surprised that I have to take these matters into my own hands.

5 people like this

Symlink for "C:\Program Files\ROLI" folder is working fine for me. Quite a dirty workaround I'd say. 

I too don't understand why the customizable install path is a feature, because this is default for any application existing at least on Windows. Have your project managers never used more than 1 hard drive setup?

6 people like this
Login to post a comment