Start a new topic
Answered

Please explain like I'm 5: Roli Blocks Studio Editions?

I've seen the video and read the blog post: https://roli.com/stories/blocks-studio-editions?autoplay

Yet.. I have no idea what `Blocks Studio Editions` is referring to.

Is it updated hardware? A new production run with better quality? More consistency in pressure sensitivity etc.?

Or is it "just a label" for the better software integration? Or is it another ROLI app? 

Dashboard, Equator, Roli studio Player (beta), now they talk about Roli Studio? What's the difference to the Studio PLAYER? Dashbaord apparently can only operate when all other Roli software is closed, .. okay?

Please shed some light into all of this, thanks!

Best Answer

Hey there,

The BLOCKS Studio Edition hardware models are the same as the current ones, but as a result of considerable firmware development since the original BLOCKS launch, they now offer more accurate finger tracking, and as a result better MPE, in addition to improved multi-block connectivity.

The ROLI Studio desktop software is more powerful, extensive, and deeply integrated than anything we've ever paired with BLOCKS. So we've reoriented BLOCKS around ROLI Studio. ROLI Studio is about to come out of a 6-month beta testing period, and we’re launching Studio Editions to coincide with the desktop software release. While you may have had access to RSP Beta for a little while, Studio Edition's will launch with ROLI Studio Drums, which offers MPE drums on desktop for the first time, and features a built-in groove generator. 

In addition to getting the latest Blocks and ROLI Studio software, buyers of the new editions get a full license to the Strobe2 synth. 

If you’re already a BLOCKS owner, you can access ROLI Studio for free. You can download the full software via ROLI Connect when it comes out of beta on October 31. 

Hope that clears things up,

Marcus

What's the difference then between the GarageBand Edition and the Studio Edition, apart from the fact one has  LOOP and the other a LIVE Block?

I asked about this info through tech support and was told hardware/firmware is the same, and for software:

"There are no hardware differences between the two Lightpad's, only in the software entitlement. The Lightpad SE comes with the full version of Strobe2 and a 6-month Max MSP License. The Lightpad M comes with the player version of Strobe2, a 3-month Max MSP License, a 3-months Melodics License as well as Tracktion Waveform 8. Both Lightpad's come with Equator and Cypher2 Player, Abelton Lite Live and access to Connect, Studio Player and Studio Drums."

So did I get it right, even if I buy a Seaboard Block or Lightpad Block which were produced in 2017, I would still buying the same HW and I would update their firmware to match the firmware of the Studio Edition Blocks and the only difference would be eligibility for SW?

Login to post a comment